Skip to main content

Watchmen- the first comic book I read


Watchmen by Ann Plzz is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Based on a work at https://flic.kr/p/2mBTj4u.


For a long time, I was cold to the comics themselves, although I really liked watching them being adapted on big screens in the form of films or cartoons. In 2009, director Zack Snyder released his film "Watchmen", which was based on a comic book of the same name. The film hooked me and I watched it more than once later. Once I was intrigued by a phrase, the essence of which was that the film, first of all, is good because of the original source, that is the comic book. I was fired up with the idea of reading a comic book, but apparently, I didn't catch fire so much, because I read my first comic book only this year. But I will not continue to call the "Watchmen" a comic book. I've seen comics on bookstalls and most of them are mediocre stories with equally mediocre illustrations. "Watchmen" is something else, and the naming of "graphic novel" suits it much more.

The author of the novel is the cult writer Alan Moore. The artist was Dave Gibbons. Their duet is the perfect hit. This story was published throughout the year - from autumn 1986 to autumn 1987. The action takes place in the America of the 80s, and in an alternate reality, where some of the events of the story are changed. The main characters of the book are people who have decided to fight crime. But, unlike the classic characters of DS, Marvel and other publishers, they do not have any superpowers (only one character is an exception). It immediately captivates and they really want to empathize. However, some characters look very much like their other colleagues in the workshop. For example, Dan Dreiberg aka Night Owl is practically a copy of Wayne, that is Batman. Actually, these and other "similarities" were conceived by Moore from the very beginning. 

By the time the novel begins, the superheroes no longer protect the city as a single team - it has disintegrated due to a number of reasons, which you will learn about directly in the work itself. Everyone lives their own lives until they find the corpse of one of them. This is the catalyst for the whole story. Alan Moore did a great job on the plot, every character is revealed. Of course, Rorschach, a man with a difficult fate, will become a favourite of many. This novel is definitely not intended for children and "18+" make themselves felt. Sometimes brutally, sometimes openly, but very sincerely and not fake.

Structurally, the novel is a traditional illustration with text. The illustrations are made at an amazing level. amazing drawing of details. But sometimes such a classical structure is interrupted by the usual text, which complements the story and reveals the characters more, but, as for me, is not particularly needed. So, there are various newspaper sketches, excerpts from the autobiography of a member from the old composition of the Keepers, and so on. It's curious, but it didn't give me anything, either in terms of the disclosure of the plot, or in the emotional component. There is also a story within a story in the novel. We are shown a young man who reads a comic about pirates. The story told in this fictional comic is no less dramatic and cruel than in the main storyline. At the end of the chapter, some kind of quote is given that perfectly fits this particular chapter.

The book contains a lot of references to both American and world culture. Many things, of course, will be noticed by an attentive reader himself, but something will really be difficult to understand. To do this, at the end of the novel there is a commentary on the chapters, motives and details that could have been overlooked.

I did not regret reading this work. Alan Moore discusses the topic of good and evil, the uniqueness of each individual, his place in the universe, choice and much, much more. In general, in my library, the "Watchmen" feel quite comfortable in the company of works by Dostoevsky, Kaverin, Bulgakov, King and others.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Russian literature (1)

 I have had a love for russian literature since childhood, since my father loves to read, my grandfather has a huge library. Russian literature is quite rich, and the love of reading is a certain trait of russian people. Many people abroad know who Tolstoy, Dostoevsky and Bulgakov are. For the first time in my blog, I will tell you about my favourite Russian writers and where to start if you want to get acquainted with russian literature. Mikhail Bulgakov "The Master and Margarita" One of the most mysterious and amazing novels of the XX century. The novel "The Master and Margarita" is the business card of Mikhail Bulgakov. For more than ten years, he worked on the book that became his destiny novel, a testament novel. In "The Master and Margarita" there is everything: cheerful mischief and aching sadness, romantic love and witchcraft obsession, magical mystery and reckless play with evil spirits. Mikhail Sholokhov "And Quiet Flows the Don" Mikhai...

Have time to read before these 6 film adaptations come out!

 Where can I get a few more hours a day to have time to read everything I want? There is not enough time to get acquainted with all potentially interesting works. That's why, when I find out that any book worthy of my attention will soon be screened, I try to include it in the priority reading list. In this case, the impression will be received from a literary source, and not from the talent of cinematographers. I have compiled a list of 8 books for you, the film adaptation of which is expected in the near future so that you too can make the necessary adjustments to your reading plans in time. "There's Someone Inside Your House" Stephanie Perkins High school student Makani Young thinks that moving will help to forget about the secrets of the past and move on. The girl meets her classmates, but shortly before graduation, someone opens a hunt for her new acquaintances. There are more and more victims. Tension builds up, and Makani decides to deal with what is happening...